Hey Lancaster locals – with the kids going back to school at the end of the month, it’s time to gear up for another year of learning. Once you’ve collected your school supplies, stock up on great lunch ideas to keep your kids full and focused.
If your goal for this school year is to break away from the PB & J, try packing some of these local items in your child’s lunch for an authentic, nutritious, and most importantly, kid-friendly Lancaster County mid-day meal.
1] Rolling up turkey or ham is a great alternative to PB & J, and easy for little ones to eat.
(Stoltzfus Meats & Deli)
2] Cube cheese into bite-sized pieces for extra calcium and protein
(September Cheese Farm)
3] To add a crunch to their day, pack an individual size bag of Herr’s chips.
(Herr’s Snack Factory)
4] Not a chip fan? Pretzels are another salty alternative. After all, they are practically their own food group in Lancaster County with so many varieties to choose from.
(Julius Sturgis or Hammonds)
5] A piece of fresh, locally-grown fruit, or vegetables cut up and served with hummus make a healthy and colorful snack.
(Local farm stands)
For a special day like a birthday or just a TGIF treat, add in a mini whoopie pie from Shady Maple, some Wilbur Buds, or a treat from Miesse Candies.
Another easy way to brighten their day is to include one of our Lancaster County lunch box notes. Simply print them out at home and slip one in their lunch box.
Come to Lancaster to get all your tax-free, back-to-school clothing and supplies. Since your coming to Lancaster anyway, might as well make it a fun family trip. From outlet shopping to family-friendly attractions and restaurants, why not make it a fun experience for everyone?
Suggested outlet shopping:
- Tanger Outlets: Buy directly from more than 60 brand name manufacturer and designer stores featuring Brook’s Brothers, Gap, Nike, Tommy Hilfiger, Banana Republic, and more. 20% Off Coupons (limited time only!)
- Rockvale Outlets: Shop at more than 90 brand name factory direct stores including Carter’s, Hartstrings, Disney, Under Armour, Gymboree Outlet, and more. FREE Coupon Booklet
Suggested fun and educational attractions:
Back-to-School shopping tips:
- Before shopping, know what you need and what you already have on hand. Not sure what you need? Check out this list from RealSimple.com.
- Make a list and set a budget — then stick to it.
- Shop around for the best deals; most can be found online even before getting in your car.
- To save money, check out consignment stores and/or browse Craigslist.com.
- Get your kids involved; decide in advance what items they can choose and which ones must involved compromise.
- When it comes time to packing lunches, think reusable and plan a menu in advance.
- Enjoy the process!
(Image courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net)